We completed the following remodeling whirlpool tile surround in Chanhassen, MN. The first thing was to demo the existing tile and repair or replace the existing sub-strates. All walls of whirlpool surrounds can be prepped using sheetrock. Any ledges or steps must be prepped with cementboard or backerboard. We followed the process below for this installation and many others:
1. On the whirlpool deck Mix latex modified thinset and spread on plywood with 1/4” to 3/8”
2. Cut and place backerboard on thinset.
3. Use 1 1/4” to 1 1/2” roofing nails every 8” to secure board.
4. Tape all seams using 2” fiberglass mesh tape.
5. Determine layout and patterns.
6. Tile can then be installed using a 1/4” square notched trowel or larger.
It is recommended that you use a latex-modified thinset.
7. Grout after 24 hours.
8. Caulk the 90 degree joint between the wall tile and the deck tile with 100% silicone.
We removed the existing tile from the whirlpool surround and made sure to protect the whirlpool with a construction drop cloth.
This installation really turned out nice. Eugene did a great job with the brick pattern layout and installing the corners with miter cuts.